25 clues, steps toward environmental safety, sustainability:
Innovations in environmental science. A review of 25 selected examples.http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/innovations-in-environmental-science.html
In the insightful review paper , an innovative concept of ecosystem’s biomachinery (a new scientific term that was proposed and explained in detail by the author. According to the author of this paper , biomachinery means ecological mechanisms that include biological communities and biodiversity) which improves water quality. The innovative experimental data analysis, concepts, and generalizations in this article provide the fundamental elements of the new qualitative theory of biocontrol of water quality in a systematized form. The theory covers water self-purification in freshwater and marine ecosystems .
2. Rare earth elements in biodetritus in an aquatic system.
This paper is the first publication that reported the concentrations of uranium, gold, and a number of rare earth elements in biodetritus in an aquatic system .
Full text see: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/11/gold-uranium-first-study-to-determine.html
The paper explained the innovative scientific terms (ecological chemomediators, ecological chemoregulators) that were coined in 1986 in the book S.A.Ostroumov ‘Introduction to Biochemical Ecology’ .
This article provides the fundamental elements of a new qualitative theory of biocontrol of water quality in a systematized form. The theory covers water self-purification in freshwater and marine ecosystems..
Ostroumov S.A., Widdows J. Inhibition of mussel suspension feeding by surfactants of three classes. HYDROBIOLOGIA, 2006, Volume: 556, Pages: 381-386.
The first paper that reports experiments that showed that all three main kinds of synthetic surfactants (detergent chemicals) slow down the filtration of water by marine organisms, filter-feeders (the bivalve mussels of Atlantic Ocean, the Latin name Mytilus edulis). .
6. New theory of ecological self-purification of water.
A detailed well-structured presentation of the author’s innovative and multifaceted conceptualization of how almost all aquatic organisms work together toward making water clear and clean. This paper formulated a new theory of ecological self-purification of water .
Ostroumov S.A. On the multifunctional role of the biota in the self-purification of aquatic ecosystems. -RUSSIAN JOURNAL OF ECOLOGY, 2005, 36 (6): 414-420.
7. New concepts and terminology: ecological tax; ecological repair of water quality.
New concepts and terminology were introduced in the paper: ecological tax; ecological repair of water quality. Opinion paper. Also, a review paper. . http://www.scribd.com/doc/44105992
Ostroumov S.A. Some aspects of water filtering activity of filter-feeders.
HYDROBIOLOGIA, 2005, Volume: 542, Pages: 275-286.
8. New aspect of the functioning of ecosystem.
Opinion paper: A detailed analysis of the discovery and innovation: a new aspect of the functioning of ecosystem was discovered and analyzed. The paper showed that ecosystem has attributes of a bioreactor. It is considered as a large-scale diversified bioreactor with a water self-purification function. .
9. New facts on hazards of synthetic detergents as environmental pollutants.
New facts on how detergents slow down the filtration of water by aquatic organisms (bivalve mussels, oysters and others). New inhibitory effects of surfactants TDTMA and SDS on water filtering activity of the marine mollusks oysters Crassostrea gigas. .
10. A short list of research priorities in ecology and environmental sciences for future.
A first and unique paper in which an international team of experts, scientists of three countries formulated a short list of research priorities in ecology and environmental sciences for the current century .
11. Modernized definition of the term ‘pheromones’, comments on some new concepts.
A new modernized definition of the term ‘pheromones’, p.232-233; comments on the new concepts that were proposed by the author, namely ecological chemomediators (p.232), ecological chemoregulators (p.232), ecological chemoeffectors (p.234) .
12. Criteria for identification and assessing environmental hazards of chemical pollutants.
New criteria in order to answer the question were formulated in this paper: is a given chemical substance hazardous to the environment or not? This paper formulated a fundamentally new solution to the problem of selecting criteria for identification and assessing environmental hazards of chemical pollutants, toxicants..
13. Ecological mechanisms of eutrophication and abnormal increase in phytoplankton.
It is the first article in which the new experimental results of the author were analyzed to give a new fresh insight into ecological mechanisms of eutrophication and abnormal increase in phytoplankton. Also, a new insight into how ecosystem runs water self-purification..
14. A short list of the most important physical, chemical, and biological processes of water self-purification.
The first publication in which a concise outline was made of the author’s innovative theory of water self-purification. A short list of the most important physical, chemical, and biological processes of water self-purification is given..
15. New facts on a chemical of an important class of substances as aquatic pollutant.
It is the first paper in which it was clearly proved that the synthetic chemical (exemplified by the surfactant sodium dodecylsulfate, SDS), when it pollutes water, produces a dangerous effect on both marine mussels ( Mytilus edulis) and phytoplankton..
16. New ideas on criteria for identification and assessing environmental hazards of chemical pollutants.
This paper formulated a fundamentally new solution to the problem of selecting criteria for identification and assessing environmental hazards of chemical pollutants, toxicants. The paper explains why the currently accepted set of criteria is non-efficient and leads to mistakes..
17. Fundamental role of biological filtering in self-purification (and self-bioremediation, self-organization, as well as stability) of aquatic ecosystems: New facts and ideas.
It is the first paper in which a synthesis of both authors new experimental data and international literature was made, which led to a new broad picture of the fundamental role of biological filtering in self-purification ( and self-bioremediation, self-organization, as well as stability) of aquatic ecosystems.. http://www.scribd.com/doc/42830557
18. Hazardous effect of a synthetic non-ionic surfactant (exemplified by Triton X-100) on diatom algae.
The first paper to report hazardous effects of a widely-used chemical on diatom algae, important component of phytoplankton. This is a first publication to report a hazardous effect of a synthetic non-ionic surfactant (exemplified by Triton X-100) on diatom algae, a marine species, Thalassiosira pseudonana. .
19. Inhibitory and stimulation effects of a synthetic surfactant on two unique strains of the ocean species of cyanobacteria.
This is a first publication to report both inhibitory and stimulation effects of a synthetic surfactant on two unique strains of the ocean species of cyanobacteria Synechococcus from the collection of WHOI (U.S.A.). These data demonstrated a new hazard of an imbalance of species composition of marine phytoplankton under the effect of pollution by synthetic chemical pollutants .
20. Phytotoxicity of a synthetic polymeric surfactant.
What is new: a polymeric chemical inhibited growth rate of plant seedlings.
The first publication to report phytotoxicity of a synthetic polymeric surfactant. An innovative bioassay with the higher plantFagopyrum esculentum (buckwheat) was carried out. A negative reaction of buckwheat seedlings to pollution of the aqueous medium with a polymeric surfactant was discovered. .
21. New phytotoxic effects of a liquid detergent.
The first paper to report new phytotoxic effects of a liquid detergent. Before this paper, no phytotoxic effects of liquid detergents were known. New phytotoxic effects of the liquid detergent “Vilva” on the seedlings of the higher plants, buckweat Fagopyrum esculentum and rice Oryza sativa, were discovered. .
22. Unique experience in using non-traditional non-animal methods to bioassay toxicity.
This publication reported the author’s unique experience in using non-traditional non-animal methods to bioassay the toxicity of chemicals. His experiments discovered new facts on toxicity of synthetic surfactants and detergents to a number of species, e.g. to some higher plant species and algae. .
23. New method to bioassay chemicals.
A discovery of a new method to do the bioassay of chemicals. This method is especially useful to find and characterize toxicity of chemicals. This method proved to be also useful to find new facts on environmental hazards of chemicals and chemical pollution of environment. Using this method a discovery was made of a new important examples of phytotoxicity of synthetic chemicals, exemplified by some synthetic surfactants. .
24. A review on two classes of chemicals of ecological importance: (1) the natural chemicals in the biosphere; (2) man-made chemicals.
A review of the two classes of chemicals of ecological importance: (1) the natural chemicals that are involved in regulating and mediating natural inter-species and inter-organismal interactions in the biosphere; (2) man-made chemicals that are involved in chemical pollution of the environment. .
25. Juxtaposition of results of the three methods of assessment of toxicity of a new pollutant: the methods that use (1) plant seedlings; (2) aquatic algae; (3) soil algae.
A first publication to report a unique bioassay of synthetic surfactants using soil algae. Also, this is a first publication to report a juxtaposition of results of the three methods of assessment of toxicity of a surfactant: the methods that use (1) plant seedlings; (2) aquatic algae cultures; (3) soil algal cultures. .
1. Ostroumov S. A. Biocontrol of water quality: Multifunctional role of biota in water self-purification. – Russian Journal of General Chemistry, 2010, 80 (13): 2754-2761.
http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/08/biocontrol-of-water-quality.html2. Ostroumov S. A., Kolesov G. M. The role of biodetritus in accumulation of elements in aquatic ecosystems. – Contemporary Problems of Ecology, 2010; 3 (4): 369-373.
Full text see: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/11/gold-uranium-first-study-to-determine.html
7.Ostroumov S.A. Some aspects of water filtering activity of filter-feeders.
Hydrobiologia, 2005, Volume: 542, Pages: 275-286. http://www.scribd.com/doc/44105992
8. S.A. Ostroumov. Aquatic ecosystem as a bioreactor: water purification and some other functions. – Rivista di Biologia – Biology Forum, 97(1):67–78, 2004.
9. S.A. Ostroumov. Studying effects of some surfactants and detergents on filter-feeding bivalves. – Hydrobiologia, 500:341–344, 2003.
10. S.A. Ostroumov, S.I. Dodson, D. Hamilton, S.A. Peterson, and R.G. Wetzel. Medium-term and long-term priorities in ecological studies. – Rivista di Biologia, 96(2):327–332, 2003.
11. Ostroumov S.A. The Functions of Living Substances in the Biosphere. –
Herald of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2003, 73 (2): 164-169,
12. Ostroumov S.A. Anthropogenic effects on the biota: Towards a new system of principles and criteria for analysis of ecological hazards.- Rivista Di Biologia-Biology Forum, 2003, Volume: 96, Issue: 1, Pages: 159-169.
13. Ostroumov S.A. Inhibitory analysis of top-down control: new keys to studying eutrophication, algal blooms, and water self-purification. Hydrobiologia, 2002, Volume: 469, Issue: 1-3, Pages: 117-129.
14. Ostroumov S.A. Polyfunctional role of biodiversity in processes leading to water purification: current conceptualizations and concluding remarks. – Hydrobiologia, 2002, Volume: 469; Issue: 1-3; Pages: 203-204.
15. Ostroumov S.A. An amphiphilic substance inhibits the mollusk capacity to filter out phytoplankton cells from water. – Biology Bulletin, 2001, Volume 28, Number 1, p. 95-102.
16. Ostroumov S.A. Criteria for assessing ecological hazards of man-made impact on biota: Searching for a system. – Doklady Akademii Nauk, 2000, Volume: 371, Issue: 6, Pages: 844-846. (in Russian);
Criteria of ecological hazards due to anthropogenic effects on the biota: searching for a system. – Dokl Biol Sci (Doklady Biological Sciences). 2000; 371:204-206. (in English);
English paper online free:
17. Ostroumov S.A. Biological filtering and ecological machinery for self-purification and bioremediation in aquatic ecosystems: Towards a holistic view. – Rivista Di Biologia-Biology Forum, 1998, Volume: 91, Issue: 2, Pages: 221-232.http://www.scribd.com/doc/42830557
18. Fisher N.; Maertz-Wernte M.; Ostroumov S.A. Effects of aquatic pollution by a non-ionogenic surfactant on the marine diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana.-
Izvestiya Akademii Nauk Seriya Biologicheskaya, 1996, No. 1, P. 91-95.
English abstract of this paper on the web-site of the publishers:
19. Waterbury J., Ostroumov S.A. Effect of nonionogenic surfactant on cyanobacteria. – Microbiology, 1994, 63 (2): 140-142.
at British Library Direct as:
At the site of a U.S. library:
20. Ostroumov, S. A.; Semykina, N. A. Reaction of Fagopyrum esculentum Moench to Pollution of Aqueous Medium with Polymeric Surfactants. – Russian Journal of Ecology, 1993, 24 (6): 386-390.
Availability via the site: http://direct.bl.uk/bld/PlaceOrder.do?UIN=019540005&ETOC=EN&from=searchengine;
Cited at British Library Direct; see:
Cited at: http://www.world-pharmacy.info/fagopyrum;
21. Ostroumov S.A.; Khoroshilov V.S. Biological activity of waters polluted with a liquid surfactant-containing detergent. – Izvestiya Akademii Nauk SSSR, Seriya Biologicheskaya, 1992, No. 3, P. 452-458,
See the sites:
Citation, e.g., in Australia:
Ostroumov SA, Khoroshilov VS (1992) Biological activity of waters polluted with a liquid surfactant-containing detergent. Izvestiya Rossiiskoi Akademii Nauk Seriya Biologicheskaya 0, 452-458. At:
Ostroumov, S. A. and V. S. Khoroshilov (1992). Biological activity of waters polluted with a liquid surfactant-containing detergent. Izvestiya Rossiiskoi Akademii Nauk Seriya Biologicheskaya(3): 452-458.
22. Ostroumov S.A. Nontraditional nonanimal approaches to the ecotoxicology of xenobiotics. – Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, 1992, Vol. 203 (1), P. 302-ENVR.
23. Ostroumov S.A.; Maximov V.N. A bioassay of surfactant solutions based on the disturbance of seedling adhesion to the substrate and the development of root hairs by rhizodermis. – Izvestiya Akademii Nauk SSSR, Seriya Biologicheskaya, 1991, No. 4, P. 571-575.
Ostroumov, S. A. and V. N. Maksimov (1991). A bioassay of surfactant solutions based on the disturbance of seedling adhesion to the substrate and the dev elopment of root hairs by the rhizodermis. Izvestiya Akademii Nauk Sssr Seriya Biologicheskaya (4): 571-575.
Cited in Australia: http://www.newcrops.uq.edu.au/listing/fagopyrumesculentum.htm
24. S. A. Ostroumov. Biologically active substances of ecological importance and methodological aspects of the estimation of the biological activity of pollutants. – RUSS. CHEM. REV., 1991, 60 (3), 265–265.
25. Ostroumov, S. A.; Tret’yakova, A. N. Effect of environmental pollution with a cationic surface active substance on algae and Fagopyrum esculentum sprouts. – Soviet Journal of Ecology, 1990, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 79-81.
ADDENDUM. Relevant web-sites:
Citation of these and related publications:**
Citation (USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium…) environmental sciences:
Selected examples of citing Moscow University, Russian Academy of Sciences scientists.
Lithuania. Citation of the book of Moscow ecologists. Cited the book: Yablokov, Ostroumov http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/lithuania-citation-of-book-of-moscow.html
****Cited: 9 selected papers on environmental science from Moscow University. Citation at the site:http://www.biomedsearch.com; http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/cited-9-papers-on-environmental-science.html
Italy: new citation of scientific research on environmental science, ecology at Moscow University
Brazil: new citation of the research at Moscow University.
Цитирование публикаций (экология, науки об окружающей среде, биология) сотрудника МГУ д.б.н. С.А.О. в диссертациях и других научных работах – примеры
Environmental Science. Citation, examples. More info on citation: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/env-sci-citation-examples-more-info-on.html
Environmental. Sci. Citation. Part 7. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/env-sci-citation-part-7.html
environmental science. Env. Sci. Citation. Part 5. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/environmental-science-env-sci-citation.html
Environmental Science. Citation. Part 6. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/env-sci-citation-part-6.html
Environmental Sci. Citation. Part 4 http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/env-sci-citation-part-4.html
Environmental Science. Citation. Examples. Part 3 http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/env-science-citation-examples-part-3.html
Environmental Science. Citation. Examples. Part 2 http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/environmental-sci-citation-examples.html
Environmental Science. Citation. Examples. Part 1. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/envsci-citation-examples-part-1.html
U.S.A.: A new citation of a Russian ecologist (Moscow University) http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/usa-new-citation-of-russian-ecologist.html
Indonesia: publications of a Russian ecologist (Moscow State University) were cited: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/indonesia-russian-ecologist-was-cited.html
U.S.A., Syracuse University. Citation of a Moscow University paper. http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/usa-syracuse-university-citation-of.html
U.S. EPA database: research results of Moscow University: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/us-epa-uses-research-results-of-moscow.html
University of Cambridge cited research at Moscow University: http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/university-of-cambridge-cited-research.html
U.S. EPA uses research results of Moscow University http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/us-epa-uses-research-results-of-moscow_12.html
Citation in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia of Moscow University research on water qualityhttp://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/citation-in-pakistan-saudi-arabia-of.html
Citation of book: Ostroumow S.A. “Wprowadzenie do ekologii biochemicznej”, PWN, Warszawa, 1992; [it is the Polish edition of the book: Ostroumov S.A. Introduction to Biochemical Ecology, Moscow, 1986]. Publications of Polish scientists and lecture courses at Polish universities.http://www.scribd.com/doc/51131227
Kuwait and United Kingdom. Citation of works of ecologist at Moscow University http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/kuwait-and-united-kingdom-citation-of.html
Publications on Success in Research at Moscow University. Environm. science, ecology, biology, some examples. Opinion on and rating of some works: comments of experts, citation in scientific literature worldwide. http://www.scribd.com/doc/46147087
Book: Conservation of Living Nature and Resources. A.V.Yablokov, S.A.Ostroumov. Annotation, Reviews,Citation worldwide.http://www.scribd.com/doc/92795154/
Citations of the publications authored and co-authored by the scientist at Moscow University. http://www.scribd.com/doc/41345110
Environment, ecology: list of books authored and coauthored by the scientist at Moscow University.http://www.scribd.com/doc/41091215
American scientists cited this publication on issues of eutrophication, algal blooms, and water self-purification:http://5bio5.blogspot.com/2012/09/american-scientists-cited-this.html
British scientists cited these publications, environmental science, ecology, aquatic biology: